Texas Breastfeeding Coalition Strategic Plan: 2017‐2021
Texans support breastfeeding.
To improve the health of Texans by working collaboratively to protect, promote and support breastfeeding.
- Advocate for policies that protect breastfeeding.
- Promote a culture supportive and accepting of breastfeeding.
- Build, link, and ensure access to state and local resources.
- Engage stakeholders in alignment of goals and actions to increase breastfeeding support.
GOAL 1: Advocate for policies that protect breastfeeding.
A. Maintain and continue to build relationships and resources related to our legislative agenda.
B. Strengthen the right to breastfeed.
C. Improve worksite lactation support.
D. Protect, promote, and support the HMBANA Human Milk Banks in Texas.
GOAL 2: Promote a culture supportive and accepting of breastfeeding.
A. Nursing in Public (NIP) incidences.
- Formulate an algorithm response guide (with available tools) that can be utilized by coalition leaders and/or mothers who have recently experienced NIP event.
- Create Task Force to address NIP incidences
B. Airport Project.
- Identify every airport within established coalition regions without adequate facilities available for traveling lactating women.
- Target coalition leaders within these regions with the resources and strategies necessary to facilitate envisioned change.
- Create Task Force to create suggestions for local coalitions to implement
C. Childcare Center Project.
- Collaborate with DSHS to disseminate information about daycare training modules to local coalitions in order to raise awareness, interest, and enthusiasm.
- Prepare a fact guide for mothers about talking with daycare facilities about breastfeeding.
- Create Task Force to evaluate need for written materials, conference presence by TXBC, and to work with Legislative Committee for possible legal requirements to protect breastfeeding and breast milk feeding.
- Increase diversity and equity in partnerships.
- Create and maintain a diversity & equity page on the TXBC website that can serve as a toolbox for other organizations and coalitions.
- Create and maintain a diversity & equity e-library/bookstore.Include monthly diversity & equity section in the Friday Report.
- Increase ethnically diverse photos of breastfeeding professionals and/or clients/mothers on the TXBC website’s main page.
- Actively recruit women/men of color, various ages, religions, cultures for TXBC membership.
- Provide scholarship(s) to diversity students seeking to sit IBLCE exam.
- Support teachers to provide breast milk to their infants after returning to work.
- Develop materials and strategies for TXBC and local coalitions to use with teachers and schools to comply with Law.
- Work with EEOC and Department of Labor.
GOAL 3: Build, link, and ensure access to state and local resources.
A. Maintain electronic and digital presence for communication and education.
- Continue to work on making website function better.
- Reduce costs associated with website where possible, while still keeping it secure.
- Check and update information on a regular basis.
- Friday Report
- Continue to produce weekly Friday Report
- Make sure all members are receiving Friday Report – if they want to receive it.
- Social Media
- Increase reach and interaction
- Create member events in a timely manner
- Interact with other breastfeeding organizations, including local coalitions.
- Increase reach and interaction
- Interact with other breastfeeding organizations, including local coalitions
- Biennial Breastfeeding Summit in even (non-legislative) years.
- Plan Breastfeeding Summit to be held in 2018Find location to hold Summit
- Develop draft agenda and possible speakers
- Prepare stakeholder invitation list
GOAL 4: Engage stakeholders in alignment of goals and actions to increase breastfeeding support.
A. Develop and implement a Regional Resource to support local coalitions.
- Develop geographic regions in the state which would serve as resource areas or TXBC local coalitions.
- Assist each Regional area to elect a regional coordinator to serve as contact person for the local coalitions located within the region.
- Support efforts of the local coalitions to work within their region to address common goals such as legislative advocacy and educational offerings.
- Recruit members
- USDA/WIC will provide funds to finance WIC personnel’s participation
- TXBC should be present/vendor at annual Texas WIC Nutrition Education & Breastfeeding Conference
- Keep TALWD (Texas WIC Directors) apprised of TXBC efforts
- Non-WIC outreach : La Leche League, Mom/baby groups, community groups, Mother-Friendly Employers & Businesses, WIC, daycare directors, city/county government, unions, educational institutions, HCPs (mental health, dental/ENT, surgeons, non-OB/Gyn MDs, pediatricians, lab/ER/Pharmacy, chiropractors, PT/OT/ST, Red Cross, emergency responders, RD/LD, tatoo/piercing artists, homeopaths, those providing essential oils, breast cancer organizations, etc.
- Develop letter templates for membership and partnership invitations.
- Prioritize invitation categories for mailing/emailing.
- Leadership for local coalitions
- Identify & maintain contact with 12 established local bf coalitions
- Assist in formation & local strategic planning
- Consider automatic state & local bf coalition dual membership
C. Actively seek funding which could support a paid staff member.
- Establish taskforce to develop the following:
- Job description
- Candidate criteria and vetting
- Grant writing and funding sources compliant to WHO Code
D. Plan for TXBC attendance at stakeholder conferences and meetings.
- Include TALWD, USLCA 2017 Conference, LLL TX Conferences
- Create Task Force to investigate conference options, costs.
TXBC Committees 2017–2021
- Legislative, Chair: Krisdee Donmoyer
- Kristen Waltrip
- Shannon Wingo
- Barbara Wilson-Clay
- Communications and Information, Chair: Janet Rourke
- Website, Chair: Janet Jones
- Social Media, Chair: Naya Weber
- Events, Chair: Shannon Sanford
- Coalition Liaison, Chair: Paula Hiett
- Diversity, Co-Chairs: Laura Gruber and Lauren Reyes
Task Forces 2017–2021
- Licensure, Chair: Kathy Parkes
- Paula Hiett
- Jessica Nichols
- Deanna Huerta
- Krystie Lawshea
- Breastfeeding Friendly Physicians Designation, Chair: Janet Rourke
- Airport Breastfeeding Locations, Chair: Kristen Waltrip
- Nursing In Public Incidences, Co-Chairs: Krisdee Donmoyer and Cathy Liles
- TXBC Decal/Logo, Chair: Shannon Wingo
- Cathy Liles
- Jessica Nichols
- Development of Regional Representative, Chair:
- Paid ED Development, Chair: Kathy Parkes
- TXBC Presence at TX Conferences, meetings, Chair:
- Breastfeeding Summit, Co-Chairs: TXBC Board